Modern day cars are complex high tech piece of equipment embedded with cutting-edge technologies for safety and comfort of passengers. Nowadays safety is the centrepiece of a new innovation. All major automotive car manufacturers devote precious money and resources for passenger safety. Today safety is as important as the comfort it offers. One such safety car part is Laminated Windshield, though invented as early as 1936 it is one of the most critical safety innovation. As technologies evolve, maintenance and replacement cost of the parts also rises. It also increases the complexity of maintaining your car. You must choose a right workshop with an experienced team and specialized tools for windshield repair or replacement.
Windshield is an integral part of the car which gives it structural strength. Car Windshield is designed as a safety equipment. It protects the occupant not only from the air or unwanted noise also from stones and buds that may hit you on road. Modern-day windshields are not the nascent old laminated glass but have may luxury or add-on features other than safety. It includes Rain & Light Sensor, Heads-Up-Display, IR Sensors and others ADAS Systems. Any damage to your windshield during a drive-by a stone may affect these safety systems.
As we know replacing a damaged windscreen is an expensive task. Having more and more safety systems make it more complex. So we ignore sometimes small chip and stone cracks on the windscreen. It’s just to save some hard earned money. But have you realized that All windscreen cracks are not large enough and hence can be repaired? If you take an advice from an expert car glass technician your windshield repair may cost nominal. Here comes the role for Auto Glass Masters if you find any kind of spot or chip or stone mark on your car windshield, you can call us for assistance. Your car windshield may need a repair before it grew so much that you don’t have an option rather than to go for the replacement.
Sometimes people are not aware of the fact that which kind of windshield crack or stone impact can be repaired. So they often landed to windshield replacement. Hence lose their hard earned money. As most of car glass installers are not aware of windshield repair technique. All glass installers may not have adequate car glass repair tools and resources, and hence they prefer to replace a damaged windshield without giving a try for a repair.
But at Auto Glass Masters, we are fully committed to our Repair policy. Our technicians are trained and have years of experience to repair any crack or stone chip impact up to a size of a small coin. First of all, we diagnose the crack and stone impact area. If the impact is in Drivers Vision Area and crack is not safe to repair we advise you to go for windshield replacement rather than repair.
Windshield Repair Process
Your car windshield is made up of two glass layers sandwiched through a Plastic or Poly layer. This layer helps to stop your windshield from shattering if met with an accident. It also gives us the opportunity to repair some cracks on an upper glass surface. Steps to repair a windshield crack:
- Removal of debris from the crack
- Removal of air from the crack by using a vacuum suction device
- Injecting the resign into the crack through injection which fills the crack area
- Curing the resin through Ultra Violet Light
- Removing excess resign from the crack
Once the crack is repaired the strength is restored and has 90-95% of clarity as of new windshield.
Repairable Windshield Cracks
The type of stone chips and cracks that can be repaired are
- Circular bullseyes
- linear cracks
- small pits
- stone crack chips
- star-shaped breaks
Above cracks are repairable without removing car windshield. Hence repairing such cracks eliminates problems like leakage or poor bonding with car body which may arise due to the poor replacement of a new windscreen.
We must also understand that all windshield cracks can’t be repaired such as :
- on the inside of the windshield
- deep damage on both layers of glass
- damage over rain sensor or internal radio antenna
- complex multiple cracks
- very long cracks (i.e. over 18–24 inches (46–61 cm) long)
- contaminated cracks
- edge cracks
The advantage of Windshield Repair
Some people don’t wish to get small cracks repaired as windshield never fall inside. Some may think since windshield is a very important part of the car, why go for the repair? You can go for a replacement. But before you make a choice you should consider some advantage of windshield repair.
- Cost Effective: Windscreen Repair is very cost effective and it should only cost about 10-20 % of the new windshield cost.
- Saves Time: Windshield repair takes about 30 minutes and hence save your precious time.
- Windshield Strength: A repaired Crack have the same strength as it has before crack. So we strongly advise you not to go for a replacement unless it is the only option. To have a factory fitted windshield is always the best option. As new windshield installation need to remove the old one and expose your cars internal body to new adhesive. If not installed properly it may lead to leakage.
- Long-Term Effects: If you think that its alright to drive with a cracked windshield as it never falls. You need to think again. The most extreme, and important, long-term effect to watch for with a cracked windshield is the collapse. If you allow the cracks on your windshield to spread, then it weakens the windshield and makes it potentially dangerous. If you go over a good sized bump or drive your vehicle in a wind storm, then that windshield could collapse into your vehicle. This will not only cause physical harm to the people in the vehicle, but it also makes driving extremely dangerous.
- Seal the Car: A fresh or repaired windshield seal your car. You may not notice it but if you don’t get the small damage repaired, it may lead to leakage in case of heavy rain. It also increases noise level due to wind drag inside your car.
- Help the Environment: By going for a repair you can contribute to your environment conservation. A windshield is made up of many chemicals and replacing a new one will lead to the disposal of the old windshield. It will add to already deteriorating environment health.