To know about the Windshield replacement cost, first, you have to understand what your windshield is made up of. So, the windshield of a car is not made with regular glass or else it would easily break with any sort of impact. Instead, rather than ordinary laminated glass, the windshield is comprised of tempered glass which is manufactured through heating the normal glass as well as then speedily cooling it. This alternative cooling and heating make regular glass 10 times more powerful along with making it more resistant to breaking.
- Its glass has different layers with the help of which the crack is required to spread for fully breaking your windshield.
- Now, this means that you stay safe from an injury even in case debris breaks through only the first layers of the glass.
- Furthermore, even in case the glass breaks, it does so into tiny cube-like pieces with sharp edges rather than sharp shards which is what happens with regular glass.
- Driving the vehicle with a destroyed windshield can result in a major collision that might cost you your life along with the other occupants’ lives in your vehicle.
- Not only this, but you also won’t have complete visibility while driving that poses a quick threat on the road.
- You can be ticketed as well if driving with the damaged windshield.
So, whether the severe damage falls on your rear windshield (backglass) or the front one, it would be best for you to quickly find out the Windscreen replacement cost and then do it for ensuring your protection. In case the windshield of your car has sustained slight damage which displays itself in a tiny chip form, probably it can be repaired, however, anything which is more than that demands the windshield replacement i.e., plenty of drivers’ worst nightmare. The most general fear is the cost of its replacement.
As per the National Windshield Repair Association, the basic charge for the windscreen replacement is approximately $350, and this number might vary according to the damage and several factors that affect these rates.
In the Indian market, the average windshield replacement cost is ₹4500. Though it varies with the car model and brand. But for most of the Indian car models, the replacement cost of a windshield is between ₹3000 – ₹7500. It includes popular cars like Maruti Swift, Honda Amaze, Honda City, Hyundai I20, Hyundai Creta, Ford Ecosport, Maruti Baleno, Mahindra Scorpio, and Mahindra XUV500. While replacing an SUV or a premium sedan Indian car model like Toyota Fortuner, Ford Endeavour, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry will be in the price range of ₹10500 – ₹19500.
If you own a premium imported car like Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini, or Mercedes-Benz, replacing a new windshield glass may vary between ₹31000 – ₹355000.
Factors affecting Windshield replacement charges
The rate of the windscreen repair is subject to the particular vehicle besides the damage type sustained by the glass that will affect the cost of replacing your windshield. The replacement will cost extra in case the glass is personalized in a few ways which include –
- Special Features – The windshield replacement charges of your car will also factor extra cost according to the vehicle type. A few vehicles have unique moldings that are part of your windshield. It means the glass will also require those for matching structural design. Besides, sometimes, newer vehicles come with characteristics like condensation sensors and rain sensors which involve more work for replacement. What’s more? A few cars can have as much as 5 distinctive sensors along with various hundreds of dollars for replacement. Furthermore, windscreen replacement on the older car without the details will be relatively less.
- Vehicle Type – In terms of the cost of windshield replacement, among the first things every store you reach out to is, “what’s the model and make of the vehicle?”This detail has a huge effect on the charges. Luxury vehicles such as Audi or Mercedes might have high Windscreen replacement cost due to their particular dimensions. Sometimes, these can charge 2/3 times what the glass for non-luxury automobiles may cost.
- As expected, Collectible Cars will cost a lot higher for replacing the windshield as per how tough is it for locating an adequate replacement.
- Also, the tinted glass will have a bigger price tag, considering that your windscreen will need to be modified before installation.
The charge of replacing your windshield might be more than the repair, however, the proper installation is important for ensuring that the vehicle complies with the driver security standards. Another significant factor in terms of Windscreen replacement cost is the location and extent of the damage. A few minor damages can guarantee an instant repair over the complete replacement so make sure to check that which fix is the best for the vehicle.
- Is your rear windshield damaged or the front one? The replacement of front glass often costs a lot more as compared to the replacement cost of back glass.
- The replacement of back glass does not need the additional price of wiper assembly as well as falls in a range of ₹500-₹9000 for the fix.
- The vehicle with unique molding might add a maximum of 20% to the repair charges.
- Not only the windshields block the debris from flying into the cars, but they are also a part of the structural integrity of your car.
- Please note that the compromised windshield due to the large crack or a crash can pop out during an accident and that is why you must replace it as soon as possible.
- Opting for a reliable Company with insured and certified technicians is your best bet for proper windshield replacement.
Once you know the Windshield replacement cost, contact the professional technician, who, at times, can perform the same day replacement which will cause you sheer convenience. The kind of glass which is utilized for the installation must be OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) for achieving the desired results.
Only those businesses which cater to the below-mentioned expert standards must be trusted with the vehicle –
- Use only those products which meet FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards)
- Follow every instruction of the adhesive manufacturer
- Use certified and trained technicians
- Offer detailed record and written warrants for the completed work
- Carry proper insurance
Even, it might be dangerous for you to switch on windshield wipers in case it is damaged as this can result in even further cracking and you will be left with no defense against genuine forces like snow and rain. Always remember that in case the wrong replacement windshield gets installed in your vehicle which has a head-up display, you will get a double or ghosted image. You would view actual separation. Say that your vehicle’s speed is 60 mph, then you will view 2-6s i.e., you will view the secondary 6 floating above the primary one.
Picking the replacement windshield is a complex process. That is why, check with the aftermarket auto glass firms and dealer for determining which of the replacement windshield is needed, whether or not it should be engineered for ADAS (Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems), HUD (Head-up Displays), as well as rain, sensing wipers or if the bare-bones windshield is enough.
- A lot of insurance companies will waive the deductible as well as bear the full Windscreen replacement cost.
- In case you have the auto warranty, check the particular contract to make sure if the provider covers the windscreen replacements or repairs.
- If it is decided that the windshield is required to be replaced, a lot of companies accept the majority forms of insurance along with working around the payment options which cater to your requirements.
- The right replacement Company will also manage the paperwork along with directly dealing with the insurance company for making the procedure easy and simple for you.
- Never forget that for ensuring the security of everybody traveling in your vehicle, windshield replacement should never be avoided.
- There is a high probability that weakened glass will fall into your car as well as will injure both any passenger sitting in the front seat and the driver.
Have you tried looking through the crack windshield? If yes, then you know that the scratches and cracks decrease the visibility of the driver along with increasing the probability of accidents, specifically in India where congested roads require constant alertness and good visibility. However, if done with the help of the right Company, Windscreen replacement, can be a breeze, even without insurance.