Primer is an important component of the windshield bonding system. It increases the bond strength between the car body and windshield. Primer increases polyurethane strength and keeps the windshield better hold with the car body.
Why a primer should be used before windshield replacement?
Windshield primer is necessary for old cars, as the paint layer gets distorted after a few years and to restore the paint layer primer should be applied. Primer not only increases the strength of the bond, but it also keeps the car body safe from rusting by filling any gap in the paint layer.
Even if your car is relatively new, you should use a primer to make a base of polyurethane. During removal of old urethane/adhesive, the paint layer got scratched. To avoid any kind of rusting in the body you should use a quality primer.
Features of windshield primer
- Increase adhesive strength between windshield, car body, PVC parts, etc
- Work as an anti-rusting agent for the car body.
- Can cover up scratched or damages that may arise while removing old urethane
- Protect from UV rays
- Can be applied to all types of glasses
Follow these steps before applying the windshield primer:
- Clean the windshield and body with a cleaner thoroughly before applying primer
- Shake primer well before opening the bottle
- Apply the primer properly and let it dry for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Apply polyurethane on the primer carefully
- Place the windshield carefully.
Precautions for applying Primer
- Always check the date of primer, use only in the recommended period.
- Store primer in 15 to 25 degree C
- Always wear gloves, safety glass, and waterproof clothes while working with windshield primer
Auto Glass Masters use Sika windshield primer and 3M primers for windshield replacement. These are industry-best products and follow all industry safety standards. For more details about windshield primer and any other question regarding windshield replacement please call +91-9278783578.